George C. Lewis House
Tony and Kathy Arnett purchased the George C. Lewis house, located at 408 S. Washington Street in Watertown, in 2005. The George C. Lewis house is highlighted in the South Washington Street Historic District of Watertown by the State of Wisconsin and U.S. National Registry.
The Georgian (Colonial) Revival style home, designed by Claude & Starck, was built in 1900 by local industrialist George C. Lewis. He was the son of George B. Lewis, who started the G.B. Lewis Box Company in Watertown (which later became The Applied Moldings Company.)
Here is how the house is described by the Wisconsin Historical Society:
"Built in the early 20th century for the Lewis family, this frame interpretation of the Georgian Revival, hip-roofed house is a 'Classic Box' featuring multiple pedimented roof dormers characterized by dentil trim, cornice returns, fluted applied pilasters and tracery in the arched windows and that are linked by a balustrade, cornice and fluted pilaster enframements on the center windows as well as an oriel window on the northside and a bay window on the lower story of the facade. Plain cornices on the remainder of the windows, a second story south side sun porch (now enclosed on the first story for a garage) and a one-story, open, balustraded porch extending across the facade with dentil trim and fluted Ionic columns also characterize this well-preserved home. Circa 1920 the front portion of the porch was cut away, providing access to a new attached garage."
Kathy and Tony are proud to own this fine Watertown home and are working to restore its grandeur. They restored the wrap-around porch and railing, a portion of which had been previously cut away to create an attached garage. They have also done extensive redecoration of the second floor. In 2007, their home was featured in the Holiday Parade of Homes.
The wrap-around porch of the house is 90 feet long - the same distance between the bases on a baseball diamond!